Welcome Information – Paving the Way

Early Intervention and Identification (Paving the Way) 

Paving the Way is Cognus’ early intervention service. It provides a menu of support for children and young people, parents and carers, and schools. These difficulties cause barriers to engagement in learning and social interaction. This can impact on achieving their full potential. 

The criteria for referral are: 

  • Attention and concentration difficulties 
  • Social communication difficulties 
  • Anxiety difficulties 

Support for children and young people 

Paving the Way provides one-to-one and tailored support. We work with children aged 5-11 attending a school in Sutton. Targeted support includes individual sessions working towards agreed results for the child. Other support may include group sessions and screenings as necessary. There may be a need for additional services, and signposting information and resources. 

Support for parents/carers 

We offer a range of support for parents/carers.  Support includes themed parent child holiday workshops, parent coffee mornings and individualised support.  Individualised support may include advice and signposting to additional services. 

There is lots of support for professionals, parents/carers and children on the website: 


Links and factsheets to support: 

Government advice – Mental health resources for children, students, parents, carers and school/college staff 

Sutton Uplift – Talking therapy for adults: https://www.suttonuplift.co.uk/ 

Off the Record – Free counselling service for children for young people aged between 11-18 years: https://www.talkofftherecord.org/sutton/counselling/ 

JigSaw4U – A charity that provides a wide variety of services across the London Boroughs of Sutton and Merton: https://www.jigsaw4u.org.uk/ 

Sutton Parents and Carers Forum – A group for parents and carers with children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND): https://www.suttonparentsforum.org.uk/ 

If you have a safeguarding concern about a child, you should contact the designated safeguarding lead, or Headteacher at your child’s place of education in the first instance. 

Please note: The referral form should be completed by a professional with signed parental consent.  Additional information should be given where appropriate