Home educating a child with an EHCP

If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), the home education provided should be appropriate for their special educational needs or disabilities.

However, this does not mean that you must provide everything previously provided by the school. Your child may still be able to access physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech and language therapy.

If your child attends a special school, you must get permission from the local authority before you can remove them from the school. If the LA refuses consent, you can ask the Secretary of State to settle the dispute.

EHCP reviews will continue for children who are electively home educated whilst the EHCP is maintained. The Cognus SEND Service will contact you about arranging an EHCP review within one school term of your child being removed from school for EHE.

If you later decide your child should return to school, this should be raised via a review process and you can contact the SEND Service to enquire about this process.

More information on SEND Support can be found on Sutton’s Local Offer or Sutton Information, Advice and Support Service (SIASS) website.