Home education for a child with an EHCP

If the child attends a special school, the parent must get permission from the local authority before you can remove them from the school roll.

There is no equivalent requirement for children with an EHC Plan who attend a mainstream school; the parents of a child may withdraw him or her without the local authority’s consent, although they should be encouraged to engage with the authority before doing so, whenever possible.

For more information, advice or support please contact the Cognus Inclusion Coordinator on 07508 993068 or email EHE@cognus.org.uk