Who are we?
Cognus Occupational Therapy Services (COTS) comprises of qualified Occupational Therapists and Senior Therapy Assistants. We are a large and diverse team with a wealth of knowledge and experience in supporting children and young people with developing functional skills required for learning and everyday tasks.
What do we do?
The occupational therapy (OT) team works with education settings in Sutton and neighbouring local authorities to support children and young people with developing functional skills required for learning and functional tasks/occupations at school and college. We work in close partnership with teachers, learning support assistants, parents and/or carers and services within Cognus Limited and other agencies.
Our service focuses on the development of functional skills required for school and college life related to learning and everyday tasks/occupations such as:
- Enabling success in class-based activities
- Participation in PE, on the playground and accessing the school environment
- Supporting children to self-regulate and engage in learning
- Building independence skills
Using a functional approach allows children and young people to develop important skills required with preparation for adulthood and being as independent as possible. Cognus Occupational Therapies use the person, environment, occupation (PEO) model to support child/young person’s develop their skills through their interest and motivations, the occupations they want or need to do and the environment in which they take place.
An occupational therapist can:
- Consider a child’s/young person’s strengths, abilities and needs
- Find out what the child/young person wants and needs to be able to do in school/college
- Identify what helps or hinders a child’s/young person’s ability to engage in school/college life
- Find ways to make life easier and support a child/young person to manage daily tasks and learning activities at school/college