Cognus’ Speech and Language Therapists provide support to children and young people aged 4-25 with specific speech, language and communication difficulties to help them to communicate to the best of their ability.
Sutton schools and educational settings may refer children and young people to us with consent of parents and/or carers. Our team will carry out an initial assessment for all children and young people to clarify the extent and the nature of their difficulties before agreeing further action with the school or educational setting. The team may work with individuals or groups for an agreed period in support of mutually agreed therapy targets
As part of the service, the team shares the names of all children and young people with the local NHS occupational therapy services to co-ordinate support across the services provided.
Support for children and young people
- Supports children and young people in the school/educational setting in consultation with teachers, teaching assistants and parents/carers
- May provide specialist teaching or therapy for individuals or groups for an agreed period in order to achieve outcomes
- Takes account of the child or young person’s views when planning an intervention
- Demonstrates helpful approaches for teachers and teaching assistants which can then be used in the classroom
- Provide, source or make resources for the children and young person
- Liaises with other agencies working with the child or young person and attends relevant meetings to ensure shared understanding of the child or young person’s needs
- Attends transition meetings to ensure continuity of support
Our Speech and Language Therapists responsibilities include liaising with parents and carers of all children and young people who are referred, and to offer parents/carers support and guidance in developing their child or young person’s speech and language skills at home.
If you have concerns about your child or young person’s needs, talk to your school or settings Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) in the first instance and ask them about involving a Speech and Language Therapist.
For more information on our Speech and Language Therapy service, call us on 020 8323 0458 or email email@example.com