Speech Language and Communication and Occupational Therapy Support
What we do
The team works with schools to identify and support children and young people with speech language and communication and occupational therapy needs.
How we work
- Sutton schools and learning establishments may refer children and young people with consent of parents and/or carers
- the team shares the names of all children and young people with the local NHS speech therapy and occupational therapy services to co-ordinate support
- the team carry out an initial assessment for all children and young people to clarify the extent and the nature of their difficulties before agreeing further action with the school/learning establishment
- the team may work with individuals or groups for an agreed period in support of mutually agreed therapy targets
How we support schools and learning establishments
- prior to referral, schools and learning establishments are requested to screen a child or young person’s language and communication and /or occupational therapy skills.
- following an initial assessment of a child or young person’s difficulties a speech and language or occupational therapist may carry out a more in depth assessment to investigate ongoing difficulties
- as well as direct work with individuals or groups for an agreed period, the team provide advice for delivery of the curriculum
- the team also delivers and commissions training for all teaching staff including accredited courses where possible.
How we support children and young people
- supports children and young people in the school/learning establishment setting in consultation with teachers, teaching assistants and parents/carers
- may provide specialist teaching or therapy for individuals or groups for an agreed period in order to achieve outcomes
- takes account of the child or young person’s views when planning an intervention
- demonstrates helpful approaches for teachers and teaching assistants which can then be used in the classroom
- will provide, source or make resources for the children and young people
- liaises with other agencies working with the child or young person and attends relevant meetings to ensure shared understanding of the child or young person’s needs
- attends transition meetings to ensure continuity of support
How we support parents/carers
The service has a responsibility to liaise with parents and carers of all children and young people who are referred and to offer support and guidance in developing their child or young person’s language and communication and/or occupational therapy skills at home.
If you have concerns about your child or young person’s needs, talk to your school or settings special educational needs and disabilities coordinator. You can ask them about involving a Speech and Language and/or Occupational Therapist. If this is difficult for any reason, we can be contacted at:
Cognus Therapies Team Manager: Patsy Winkley
Staff qualifications and quality assurance
All Speech and Language and Occupational Therapists employed by Cognus Limited are fully qualified and registered with the Health Care Professionals Council (HCPC) and are qualified to the standards recognised by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and Royal College of Occupational Therapists respectively. There is a statutory duty for therapists to engage in continuing professional development to maintain this registration.
The service provides supervision, training and quality assurance.